Over the last year I have come to love my crock pot, and now that I’m a mom, it’s a huge life saver! Between easy dinners and overnight breakfasts, I’ve discovered some great recipes and experimented with my own. I found a recipe this past weekend on Instagram for Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili, and with the fall-like weather New England has been experiencing, I decided to make it last night.
Now, I’m not sure I ever follow a recipe exactly as provided because I love to be innovative, play around with flavors and I strive to make dishes as healthy and hearty as possible. I didn’t change too much in this particular one, but I did tweak it a little. My husband and I absolutely loved it, and we both give it two delicious thumbs up! It will definitely be a recipe I continue to make and likely experiment more with this fall and winter. So, without further adieu, here is the recipe for Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili.
- • 1lb ground turkey
- • 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- • 3 garlic cloves minced
- • 3 cups chicken broth (plus extra for re-heating)
- • 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- • 16oz can baked beans (I used B&M original)
- • 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- • 2 cups of red and yellow cherry tomatoes sliced into halves
- • 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1lb,) peeled and chopped
- • 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- • Salt and Pepper
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- • 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- • Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- • Chopped avocado
- • Green onions
- • Cilantro
- • Crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Cook the ground turkey and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, cook until brown breaking the turkey up as it cooks.
- Add minced garlic and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add to a 6 quart crock pot along with all remaining ingredients, (except garnishes and toppings)
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender (I cooked on low for about 5 1/2 hours).
- Serve with desired toppings. Side note, you may need to add a little more chicken broth when reheating.
*Please note I found the original recipe on Instagram. As I mentioned above, I made a few minor changes, but I will always give credit where credit is due, so please check out their profile for more recipes and inspiration!
I hope you’ll give it a whirl and like it as much as I do!
Happy Tasty Tuesday foodies! 🙂
Follow me on Bloglovin