Once the cold weather of fall and winter sets in, it’s inevitable that warm hearty meals are what most people crave. A spicy bowl of chili or a warm creamy butternut squash soup are two of my personal favorites! But between holiday parties and eating heavier meals, a lot of people end up consuming extra calories and gaining extra pounds.
I recently stumbled on a recipe for Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Chili, but it was loaded with a bunch of unhealthy high fat ingredients. Even though it looked delicious, I simply couldn’t follow a recipe that was loaded with a bunch of “junk.” In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever followed any recipe to a T. So like most recipes, I revamped it to be a bit healthier so it fit my nutritional needs and preference.
The two biggest ingredients I eliminated and swapped out from the original recipe were cream cheese and sour cream. I’m a huge Greek yogurt lover, and discovered that it’s a great substitution for sour cream. I also opted for using my own spices instead of prepacked chili seasoning, and I added some extra veggies and beans to ramp up its nutritional content.
My crock pot has proven to be a huge mealtime lifer saver, especially as a busy mom! I have made this Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Chili recipe several times now, and it has quickly become a go-to staple in my house. It’s easy to whip together, it’s delicious and it’s been a hit at a few get-togethers. Here’s hoping your fall is off to a fabulously delicious start, and that this chili recipe ends up on your menu of favorites this season!
Enjoy and have a great week! 🙂
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- • 2 peppers chopped (colors of your choice)
- • 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- • 2 cups of beans, either black, red or a mix of both
- • 24oz of plain Greek yogurt
- • 1 jar of salsa
- • 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- • 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- • 1 teaspoon Pepper
- • Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- GARNISHES & TOPPINGS
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- • Sliced avocado
- • Cilantro
- • Crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- Spray your crock pot with olive oil.
- Put crushed tomatoes and salsa in your crock pot and stir together.
- Mix in 16oz of Greek yogurt (save 8oz for later)
- Add all spices and stir again
- Place your chicken in making sure it's well covered and coated.
- Add beans and veggies in last and make sure everything is well mixed.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Mix in the last 8oz of plain Greek yogurt
- I like to top this chili with shredded cheddar cheese, avocado slices and a few tortilla chips.
- The Greek yogurt is a much healthier, lower fat option than sour cream and cream cheese, and I promise it still tastes absolutely delicious - even my husband approves 🙂
- If you don't have all the seasonings, you can use one packet of chili seasoning mix.
- And last but not least, when I have the time, I crush my own fresh organic tomatoes instead of using canned, and I season them with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
This recipe was also posted on Hello Nature.